Spinach (Palak) in buttermilk
Spinach (Palak) cooked with spicy buttermilk makes for a delectable side dish that goes very well with steamed rice or Roti. Wholesome Sarda Farms dahi enriches the taste of this simple preparation, which can alternatively be served as a soup too.
- 2 ½ cups chopped spinach
- ¼ cup Sarda Farms dahi
- 1 ½ tablespoons besan (chana dal/gram flour)
- 1-2 tablespoon groundnuts, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon chana dal (split gram lentil), soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon Sarda Farms ghee (or use vegetable oil)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½-3/4 teaspoon sugar (or jaggery)
- Salt to taste
Pressure cook the spinach, groundnuts and chana dal with ½ cup water for 2 whistles.
In a pan heat the oil on low flame.
Add mustard seeds and once they crackle add the cumin seeds, chillies and garlic. Sauté for a few seconds.
Add the cooked spinach, salt and sugar. Mix.
Whisk together dahi with ¼ cup water and besan. Adjust the water quantity depending on the desired consistency.
Add it to the spinach and stir.
Simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Stir few times.
Serve hot with roti or rice