Silk Squash (Gilka) bharit (bharta)
Silk squash (gilka/luffa) is tempered with spices and then topped with fresh, natural dahi from Sarda Farms to make this refreshingly delicious Silk Squash (Gilka) bharit. This quick side dish/salad is the best way to include the goodness of the unpopular vegetable in your diet. Serve Silk squash bharit with roti or paratha for a quick weekday meal.
- 4-5 fresh, tender silk squash (gilka/luffa), washed, ends removed and chopped
- ½ cup Sarda farms dahi, excess whey drained
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 2 tablespoons groundnut powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Heat the oil in a pan on low flame.
Add the cumin seeds and once they sizzle add green chillies, hing and the squash.
Stir together. Sprinkle some salt and sugar,mix and cook covered for 2-3 minutes till the squash becomes soft. Time may change depending on the quality of squash.
Lighty mash the cooked squash with the back of the spoon.
Take it off the heat and cool completely.
Add the groundnut powder and stir.
Whisk and add dahi to the cooled squash. Mix everything well.
Serve garnished with chopped coriander.