Moong Dal halwa
Moong dal halwa is a rich Indian sweet made with split green gram (without skin). Moong dal is cooked in flavourful Sarda Farms ghee and additive free milk to make this popular dessert. The recipe is pretty simple but making this sweet requires some patience and elbow grease.
- 1 cup yellow moong dal, soaked in water for 3 hours and drained
- ¾- 1 cup Sarda Farms ghee
- 1 cup Sarda Farms milk
- Pinch of saffron (or cardamom), soaked in few tablespoons of warm milk
- ¾ cup sugar (or as required)
- Handful of almonds and cashew nuts, chopped or sliced
Grind the soaked dal in a blender to make a paste.
Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan on low heat.
Add the moong dal paste and stir.
Stir and cook till most of the water is evaporated and the mixture just starts turning colour.
Add milk,saffron and 1 cup water.
Cook on low flame again till the liquid almost evaporates and the dal is cooked well. Stir continuously so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom.
Add sugar and cook again for few minutes. Stir continuously as it cooks.
Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with sliced nuts.