Masoor Dal (red lentils) with ghee
Masoor dal (red lentils) with ghee is a soulful accompaniment for rice or roti. The recipe is super simple and uses ingredients easily available in the Indian pantry. Sarda Farms ghee adds a rich taste and aroma to the Masoor dal.
- 1 cup masoor dal, soaked in water for 1 ½ hrs and drained
- 2-2 ½ tablespoons Sarda Farms ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2-3 garlic pods, minced
- ¾ teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- Few fresh coriander leaves for garnish
Heat ghee in a pan on low flame.
Add cumin seeds.
Add garlic, onion and sauté till the onion becomes translucent.
Add turmeric, hing and tomato.
Stir and cook till the tomato softens
Add chilli powder, dal and stir.
Add about 1- 1 ½ cups water and cook covered till the dal becomes soft.
Add salt and boil for 1 minutes.
Pour the dal in a serving bowl. Drizzle2-3 teaspoons of ghee on top (optional)
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.