Chana Dal (Split Bengal gram) raita (salad)
Chana dal raita is a protein packed side dish which serves as a great accompaniment for roti or paratha. Fresh Sarda Farms dahi is added to crushed dal and then tempered with spices to make this raita.
- ½ cup chana dal soaked in water for2 hours, water drained
- ½ cup Sarda Farms dahi, whisked
- 1-2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2-3 red chillies, cut (or as required)
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- ½ teaspoon powdered sugar
- Chopped mint leaves for garnish
For the tempering
- 2-3 teaspoons Sarda Farms ghee
- 7-8 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon hing
Place dal, chillies, salt, garlic (if using) in the jar of a mixer.
Pulse once or twice to crush the dal coarsely.
Place the crushed dal in a bowl.
Add dahi and mix.
Heat ghee in a small pan on low heat.
Add mustard seeds and once they splutter add the cumin seeds.
Add curry leaves and hing.
Pour the tempering over the dal- dahi mixture.
Serve as it is or chilled, garnished with mint leaves